The Mayor of Madrid José Luis Martínez-Almeida together with the Madrid Councillor for tourism Andrea Levy enveilled the newly restored segment of the medieval city wall.
The restoration work that cost 120.000 euros brings to final fluition the restoration work of this remaining part of the wall that was originally disovered by accident in 1967 when the building that occupied the site was demolished.
The site at No 17 Calle del Almendro is close to the San Isidro museum and joins Cava Baja where it also joins the pre-dated moorish wall whose uncovering and restoration has been in progress in recent decades. The Moorish wall which dates to the 800´s can be seen in many spots around the palace and former Alcazar of Madrid.
The so-called “Christian” wall was built in the 12th century following the defeat and expulsion of the Moors and the fall of the Taifa ( Kingdom) of Toledo following the battle of Navas de Tolosa in 1212.
The walls fell in disuse once Madrid became the capital of Spain during the reign of Phillip II in 1576 and the walls were eventually demolished as the city expanded in the course of the next centuries.