The Spanish DGT (Directorate-General for Traffic) Summer Campaign continues into August as nearly 48 million journeys are expected to be made.
In the latest Operacion Salida this weekend the DGT estaimted nearly 5 million journeys will be made from Friday July 30th to today, August 1st.
The campaign includes advice to motorists to avoid receiving fines and losing points on their driving licences.
The key focus is to highlight the dangers of speeding which is a leading cause of not only fines but also road accidents and deaths.
In 2019 some 23% of all fatal incidents involve speeding as contributing factor.
Driving barefoot or with flip-flops is also a cause of accidents and will land drivers with fines.
The DGT´s press release highlights the main cause of fines during the summer which include:
- Driving barefoot, or wearing flip-flops: €200.
- Driving without a shirt: €100.
- Driving with one hand or arm outside of the vehicle: €100.
- Driving with a hat that covers the ears: €100.
- Eating ice cream while driving: €100-€200 and two points.
- Copilot with feet on the dashboard: €100.
- Throw a cigarette out the window: €200 and four points.