Legendary Hollywood star, Robert De Niro swept into town today, Tuesday 1st March, for a “priceless tasting menu” event at the Mandarin Oriental Ritz hotel to promote the Madrid Fusion Fair later this month.
The 78-year-old American actor, producer, director, and businessman, will enjoy a specially created menu prepared by five of Spain’s leading chefs including Mauro Colagreco, Joan Roca, Quique Dacosta, José Andrés and Martín Berasategui who between them have 25 Michelin Stars.
De Niro who has considerable business interests in the sector and is a partner in the Nobu hospitality group, led by Japanese chef Nobu Matsuhisa, is an ambassador for this year’s 20th anniversary event in Madrid called Beyond Ingredients which runs from 28th to 30 March.
The Madrid event has become one of the epicentres of the global culinary world, and this year´s themes include, ancestral, traditional and future cooking techniques, from open grill roasting to microwave cooking as well as ultrasonic cooking amongst many other industry topics.
It will be bring some of the sector´s superstars of the kitchen, including chefs such as René Redzepi (Noma, Copenhagen), Gastón Acurio (Astrid & Gastón, Lima), Alex Atala (DOM, Sao Paulo), Dabiz Muñoz (DiverXO, Madrid), Massimo Bottura (Osteria Francescana, Modena) and Yoshihiro Narisawa (Narisawa, Tokyo).
It is believed the actor has waived his fee which could be as much as $500,000, and will instead be wined and dined at the newly reopened 5-star Madrid landmark hotel.
A night at the Ritz ranges from 1,000 to 15,000 Euros – a king´s breakfast included though discounted rates can be found on Booking.com
According to the organisers of the event, the menu for this evening’s dinner consists of 16 courses: six appetizers, eight main courses and two desserts, among which will feature Iberian cured ham, Denia and Palames prawns, bluefin tuna, asparagus, hake, eel, rice, black truffle, Albufera duck and caviar.
Each of the chefs will present some of their signature dishes for this first time ever menu collaboration.
The “Priceless Menu”
- Jamón Ibérico de Bellota 5J 2018
- Olavidia de Quesería Quesos y Besos, Mejor Queso del Mundo en el World Cheese Awards 2021
- Pan de Panem
Served with Dom Pérignon Plenitud 2, 2003 Pinot Noir, Chardonnay y Pinot Meunier A.O.C Champagne
ENTRANTES * by Quique Dacosta
- Salazones en atmósfera salina
- Rodaja de tomate seco
Served with González Byass Viña AB, Estrella de los Mares, Palomino Fino D.O Jerez-Xerez-Sherry
* by Joan Roca – Contesa de espárragos blancos y trufa
* by Mauro Colagreco – Remolacha con salsa de caviar Osciètre
* by Martín Berasategui – Milhojas caramelizado de anguila ahumada, foie gras, cebolleta y manzana verde
Served with López de Heredia Viña Tondonia Blanco Gran Reserva 1964, Viura y malvasía D.O.Ca Rioja
* by José Andrés – Fresas con nata y erizo
* by Quique Dacosta – Gamba roja de Dénia hervida en agua de mar
* by Joan Roca – Toda la gamba. Gamba marinada en vinagre de arroz, jugo de la cabeza, patas crujientes y velouté de algas
* by José Andrés – Angulas ahumadas con guisantes lágrima y chicharrón de soja
* by Martín Berasategui – Mi versión de tacos de merluza con kokotxas, emulsión de café y escamas de pimentón
* by Quique Dacosta – Arroz variedad Senia entre cenizas de trufa negra del maestrazgo
Served with Vega-Sicilia Único 1989, Tinto Fino y Cabernet Sauvignon & D.O Ribera del Duero
* by Mauro Colagreco – Naranjo en flor
* by Joan Roca – Postre Láctico, dulce de leche, helado de leche de oveja, espuma de cuajada de oveja, yogur de oveja y nube
Served with Noé. Pedro Ximénez VORS de González Byass
Enjoy Mr De Niro!