The Spanish Ministry of Health has announced that it will restart it´s paused AstraZeneca vaccine use from this Wednesday 24th March after a unanimous decision of the country´s Inter-Territorial Council of the National Health System (CISNS), which coordinates the national vaccine rollout between central government and the 17 autonomous communities.
The announcement came after the European Medicines Agency (EMA) stated that there is ‘clear scientific’ evidence the vaccine is ‘safe and effective’ and that the benefit of it´s use “continue to outweigh the risk of side effects.”
The much awaited Agency Report came after several European countries including Spain paused the use of the vaccine due to concerns about blood clots forming as a side effect, however the report stated that “a causal link with the vaccine is not proven,” futhermore that of the 20 million people in the UK and EEA who had received the vaccine, as of March 16 the EMA had only seen 7 cases of blood clots.
Last week the Spanish Health Minister, Carolina Darias suspended the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine for ‘at least’ 15 days, following the decision of leading EU states such as France, Germany and Italy. She said that the pause was a precaution and temporary until the EMA was able to publish its findings to clarify the issue.
Today, a US-based clinical trial at the latter Phase 3, which included more than 32,000 participants, said the vaccine “was well-tolerated and identified no safety concerns”.